MADEIRA BEACH, Fla. (WFLA) — A boater was speeding through a slow wake zone Friday afternoon when he ran over and killed another man on a jet ski, the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office said.
The sheriff’s office said Jese Mayer, 35, was driving his 37-foot boat just north of the Tom Stuart Causeway when he rode up on 56-year-old Robert Krysztofowicz in his jet ski.
Deputies said Mayer was speeding through a slow wake zone and struck the rear of Krystofowicz’s jet ski. Deputies said Mayer’s boat rode completely over the jet ski, killing Krysztofowicz, a New York resident.
Krysztofowicz was transported to the Madeira Beach Marina but it was determined he died at the scene.
The sheriff’s office said speed and impairment appear to be factors in the crash.
Further investigation is underway.
- 76-year-old with COVID-19 wakes up moments before cremation in India: reports
- Silver Alert issued for 93-year-old man from Central Florida
- Florida man surprises wife with $1M winning scratch-off ticket on Mother’s Day
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Long stretch of warm and mostly dry days ahead
- Working from home improving mental health of dads much more than moms, study reveals