(WFLA/CNN) – Postponing the 2020 Olympics came with a hefty price, the International Olympic Committee says.
According to the IOC, postponing the Tokyo 2020 Games will likely cost the organization up to $800 million.
The Summer Games were supposed to begin in July in Tokyo. But when the global coronavirus pandemic hit, the decision was made to postpone the Olympics until July 2021.
IOC President Thomas Bach would not talk about a possible further delay to the games due to coronavirus. He said he did not want to “fuel any speculation of any future development.”
MORE OLYMPIC NEWS:
- Florida Olympics? State official’s proposal to bring 2021 Games to Sunshine State draws skepticism
- Speculation over Tokyo Olympics: 2021, 2032 or not at all?
- Japan PM determined to hold Olympics, will cooperate with Tokyo and IOC
- Japan privately concludes Tokyo Olympics should be canceled due to coronavirus
- More than 80% say Tokyo Olympics should be called off or won’t happen