(CNN) – Sy Sperling, the founder of Hair Club for Men, has died at the age of 78.
The company’s vice president said Speling passed away in Boca Raton, Florida on Wednesday after a lengthy illness.
Sperling created Hair Club for Men in 1976 after experiencing hair loss himself.
In his TV commercials, which aired in the 1980s, the businessman pitched hair restoration with the tag line, “I’m not only the hair club president, but I’m also a client.”
Sperling sold his company and retired in 2000.
- ‘His eyes just lit up’: Virginia man gets to see grandson graduate in special mock ceremony
- From clubs to scrubs: Professional golfer on why she went from golfing to fighting a global pandemic
- Knesset approves new coalition, ending Netanyahu’s long rule
- Ellenton restaurant burglarized; suspect sought
- Ex-NFL player Kevin Ware to be questioned over girlfriend Taylor Pomaski’s disappearance, report says