LeeAnn Whippen, pitmaster and owner of The Deviled Pig, fired up the grill for a competition off the field.
NE Grilled Lobster Quesadillas
- 1/2 pound grilled lobster meat (from approximately 3 four oz lobster tails)
- 1/4 cup melted butter with dash of paprika
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup spicy bbq sauce
- 4 12-inch flour tortillas
- 1 1/4 pounds grated white pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh jalapeno peppers
- 3/4 cup smoked or grilled corn kernals
- 1/4 cup minced fresh jalapeno
- minced fresh chive garnish
Prepare grill to medium high heat.
Cut lobster top off lobster tail shell with scissors, lengthwise. Carefully put lobster meat up and around top or shell so lobster meat sits on top of shell
Place on lobster tails on piece of foil and grill for approximately 10 minutes, until lobster meat is white and shell is bright pink.
Remove lobster meat from shell and tear into desired consistency.
Place flour tortilla on grill or sauté pan and top each tortilla with 5 ounces pepper jack cheese, 3 Tablespoons grilled corn, 1 Tablespoon minced jalapeno and 2 ounces lobster meat.
Once cheese is melted and tortilla is golden, flip half of tortilla over bottom half, forming a half moon shape.
Cut into 4 pie shape wedges.
Drizzle with bbq and sour cream mixture and sprinkle with fresh chives
Yield: 16 appetizers
1 1/2 pounds tri-tip steak
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 1/2 Tablespoons honey
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 12 white corn tortillas
- 1 1/2 cups grilled or smoked corn kernals
- 2 whole Haas avocado, sliced into 12 wedges per avocado
- Queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- Fresh cilantro
Combine marinade ingredients and whisk together in medium bowl.
Marinate steaks with marinade in Large ziplock bag overnight.
Prepare grill to medium high heat. Place corn tortillas flat on grill grate for about 15 seconds per side and set aside.
Grill steaks approximately 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest for 10 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain.
Place 2 slices of grilled steak on each taco and top each with 2 Tablesppoons corn and 2 Tablespoons pico de gallo.
Top each taco with 2 slices avocado then sprinkle with queso fresco cheese and a couple leaves of fresh cilantro
Yield: 12 tacos.
Lee Ann Whippen