(NBC News) – More Americans welcomed furry additions to their families this year, and many of those new pet parents are planning to give them a very merry first Christmas.
According to Deloitte’s annual holiday shopping survey, about half of respondents say they planned to buy a pet gift.
“We found that the average spend for the pet category was going to be about $90.00 in total,” says Deloitte’s Rod Sides.
Customers at Pet Project LA have been buying up high-end pet accessories.
Owner Rachel Long says she’s seen a huge boost in sales leading up to the holidays.
“80% increase from our regular business day,” Long says.
And it’s not just our own pets we’re spoiling. According to Deloitte about a fourth of shoppers said they were buying a present for someone else’s pet.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Florida officials investigating after Ellenton mom says she was hurt on ride at Manatee County Fair
- New sanctions on Cuba hinders trade and travel with Tampa Bay
- Sarah Thomas to be 1st female to officiate at Super Bowl
- Tampa woman faced with $5,800 furniture storage bill after insurance company didn’t pay
- Sen. Josh Hawley blocks fast-track confirmation for Biden’s DHS secretary nominee