ST. PETERSBURG, Fla (WFLA) – St. Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman held a news conference Wednesday morning to address coronavirus concerns ahead of the Firestone Grand Prix this weekend.
The event comes less than a day after health officials announced two confirmed cases of coronavirus in Pinellas County.
Thousands are expected to pour into St. Pete for this weekend’s Grand Prix and attend three full days of events.
Kriseman urged those who are sick to stay home, and those who attend to take the sanitary precautions like washing hands.
Race organizers tell 8 On Your Side they are actively monitoring the situation along with any recommendations from the CDC and Florida’s Department of Health. They do not expect any disruptions to race weekend, but are asking everyone to wash their hands regularly.
They are also adding additional hand sanitizer and handwashing stations throughout the event site, along with increasing cleaning and disinfecting of highly touched areas.
You can watch the news conference above.
- Kentucky man arrested after girlfriend’s body found in bags aboard Greyhound bus
- Protesters gather outside Mitch McConnell’s home
- Tropical Storm Beta meandering toward Texas, Louisiana
- Thai protesters reinstall plaque symbolizing democracy
- Trump promises to replace Ginsburg with a woman – and soon