ST. PETERSBURG, Fla (WFLA) – St. Pete Mayor Rick Kriseman held a news conference Wednesday morning to address coronavirus concerns ahead of the Firestone Grand Prix this weekend.
The event comes less than a day after health officials announced two confirmed cases of coronavirus in Pinellas County.
Thousands are expected to pour into St. Pete for this weekend’s Grand Prix and attend three full days of events.
Kriseman urged those who are sick to stay home, and those who attend to take the sanitary precautions like washing hands.
Race organizers tell 8 On Your Side they are actively monitoring the situation along with any recommendations from the CDC and Florida’s Department of Health. They do not expect any disruptions to race weekend, but are asking everyone to wash their hands regularly.
They are also adding additional hand sanitizer and handwashing stations throughout the event site, along with increasing cleaning and disinfecting of highly touched areas.
You can watch the news conference above.
- RSV spiking nationwide, especially in Southern states, during unlikely season
- Goo-goo for gold: Nurses knit mini Olympic uniforms for newborns
- Team USA qualifies fourth for men’s gymnastics final in Tokyo
- ‘Such a disgrace:’ Former President Trump reacts to Cleveland Indians’ name change
- South Korean TV network apologizes for ‘inappropriate’ coverage of Olympic opening ceremony