TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Over 245,000 people have signed a Change.org petition to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and the Florida State Senate to shut down the state in the midst of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
As of 6:15 p.m. Wednesday, 247,602 have signed the petition.
“Florida Governor Ron Desantis our family are in risk, please SHUT DOWN Florida. Around 100 Florida residents are infected everyday,” Julio Torres, the creator of the petition, wrote on the website.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Florida reporting 5,704 cases and 71 deaths
- Gov. Ron DeSantis holding off on issuing ‘stay at home’ order
- Pinellas and Hillsborough counties implementing ‘safer-at-home’ orders
- Travelers from NY tri-state area and New Orleans coming to Florida must quarantine for 14 days under new executive order
- Florida schools closed through at least May 1
Gov. DeSantis said on Monday he wants to avoid a statewide lockdown, saying he believes targeting counties hit hardest by the coronavirus for the most extreme measures is the preferable path.
He said he doesn’t want to cause unnecessary financial hardship or create unintended consequences such as people fleeing the state and spreading the disease.
As of Wednesday, there were 1,977 cases of coronavirus affecting Florida and its residents. A total of 23 people have died in the state during the pandemic.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Then vs. now: Aerial videos taken 2 weeks apart show stark difference on Clearwater Beach in wake of coronavirus
- Amazon fires warehouse worker who led walkout over coronavirus
- Husband hides symptoms to visit wife in maternity ward, Strong Hospital officials say
- Get $200 to watch your favorite Disney movie
- CNN anchor Chris Cuomo tests positive for coronavirus