TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Over 245,000 people have signed a Change.org petition to Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and the Florida State Senate to shut down the state in the midst of the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.
As of 6:15 p.m. Wednesday, 247,602 have signed the petition.
“Florida Governor Ron Desantis our family are in risk, please SHUT DOWN Florida. Around 100 Florida residents are infected everyday,” Julio Torres, the creator of the petition, wrote on the website.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Florida is reporting 85,926 cases and 3,061 deaths
- Florida in Phase Two of reopening
- Cases have spiked in past week, Gov. DeSantis says due to increased testing
Gov. DeSantis said on Monday he wants to avoid a statewide lockdown, saying he believes targeting counties hit hardest by the coronavirus for the most extreme measures is the preferable path.
He said he doesn’t want to cause unnecessary financial hardship or create unintended consequences such as people fleeing the state and spreading the disease.
As of Wednesday, there were 1,977 cases of coronavirus affecting Florida and its residents. A total of 23 people have died in the state during the pandemic.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- New COVID-19 test site in Hillsborough to offer evening, weekend hours
- Florida coronavirus: Need for COVID-19 plasma spikes as cases surge
- FDA warns 59 hand sanitizers may be toxic due to methanol
- Floridians traveling to New York must fill out forms or face $2,000 fine
- Second stimulus check: As White House signals support, payments become campaign issue