TAMPA (WFLA/CNN) – U.S. Senator Mitt Romney is proposing a temporary pay raise for essential workers during the coronavirus pandemic.
The Utah Republican calls it “Patriot Pay.”
it would be a bonus of $12 per hour in May, June, and July for a total of $1,920 per month.
The plan outlines that a quarter of the money would be paid by the employer and three quarters by the federal government using a refundable payroll tax credit.
Under Romney’s plan, eligible workers would include healthcare professionals, grocery store workers, and employees at food processing plants.
Senate Democrats also have plans to give essential workers hazard pay.
- O’ahu beaches, parks to close again until Sept. 5
- Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine again tests negative for coronavirus
- Trump extends unemployment benefits, defers payroll tax
- Photo of ‘questionable plexiglass barrier’ at Univ. of Georgia raises COVID-19 safety concerns
- Stimulus check update: Why we’re no closer to a second $1,200 payment