SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – After fighting the coronavirus for 25 days at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, longtime pediatrician and Navy veteran Steve Hefler is on the road to recovery.
The team at SMH celebrated as Hefler transitioned to a step-down unit this afternoon, all singing Hefler’s favorite song “Country Roads” by John Denver.
Hefler has been in the ICU since March 29.
Helfer recently gained some notoriety after his family could not get in touch with him after his cell phone had died and a nurse at Sarasota Memorial Hospital offered one to him.
The Hefler family has since started buying phone chargers for hospitals around the country so COVID-19 patients can stay connected with loved ones.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Can you spread coronavirus after getting the COVID-19 vaccine?
- Publix expands COVID-19 vaccine eligibility to all Florida K-12 teachers, school personnel
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 6,118 new cases, 120 new deaths
- Walgreens, Walmart, CVS offering COVID vaccines to Florida teachers of any age
- Great apes get COVID-19 vaccine at San Diego Zoo