SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – After fighting the coronavirus for 25 days at Sarasota Memorial Hospital, longtime pediatrician and Navy veteran Steve Hefler is on the road to recovery.
The team at SMH celebrated as Hefler transitioned to a step-down unit this afternoon, all singing Hefler’s favorite song “Country Roads” by John Denver.
Hefler has been in the ICU since March 29.
Helfer recently gained some notoriety after his family could not get in touch with him after his cell phone had died and a nurse at Sarasota Memorial Hospital offered one to him.
The Hefler family has since started buying phone chargers for hospitals around the country so COVID-19 patients can stay connected with loved ones.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- LIVE NOW: Pinellas teachers rally against returning to classroom as coronavirus cases surge
- Hersheypark denies entry to boy with autism because of mask rules
- Hillsborough schools host drive-thru diploma ceremonies for seniors
- Key West requires everyone over 6-years-old to wear a face covering whenever they leave home
- BayCare to pause some non-urgent surgeries in Hillsborough, Polk counties