(NBC)—A Russian military transport plane departed Moscow this morning for the U.S., loaded with medical supplies to assist in the fight against coronavirus.
Russian President Vladimir Putin offered the supplies in a phone call with President Donald Trump on Monday, the U.S. president said at a press conference later that day. On Wednesday Russia loaded up a large An-124 cargo plane — the Russian military’s largest — and dispatched it to the U.S.
The move is seen by some as a propaganda stunt amid reports of mask shortages in stores across Russia as new case numbers continue to grow and cities go into lockdown.
LATEST CORONAVIRUS STORIES:
- Police make nearly 1,400 arrests in 17 cities as protests continue
- Video: Tampa police end jewelry store looting
- Sheriff joins peaceful protest in Flint, Michigan
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Hot with a few isolated storms this afternoon
- Launch gives spectators pride, reprieve from troubled times