President Trump says he’s no longer taking hydroxychloroquine

Coronavirus

TAMPA (NBC/AP) – President Donald Trump said he had “just finished” taking a two-week course of the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine.

President Trump has often promoted Hydroxychloroquine as a possible treatment to the coronavirus, however on Monday the World Health Organization said that it will temporarily drop Hydroxychloroquine from its global study into experimental COVID-19 treatments, saying that its experts need to review all available evidence to date.

In a news briefing on Monday, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that in light of a paper published last week in the Lancet, that showed people taking hydroxychloroquine were at higher risk of death and heart problems than those that were not, there would be “a temporary pause” on the hydroxychloroquine arm of its global clinical trial.

“This concern relates to the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in COVID-19,” Tedros said, adding that the drugs are accepted treatments for people with malaria or auto-immune diseases.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Coronavirus Need-to-Know Info

More Coronavirus

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss