TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Friday announced that some coronavirus-infected residents would be pulled from their long-term care facilities and transferred to a skilled nursing center in Jacksonville.
The governor said he is taking the action to better isolate and care for infected patients and to contain the spread the disease.
During a Friday news conference, the governor again defended the state’s response to the coronavirus pandemic, particularly at elder care facilities.
The DeSantis administration has come under fire over its reluctance to release data that could show the spread of the coronavirus in the state’s long-term care facilities.
It released the data only after news organizations filed public records requests.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Man uses superhero characters to spread joy amid pandemic
- Over 2,000 cases of coronavirus reported in Florida last two days
- Quarantine cuts number of Florida traffic crashes in half
- WATCH SOON: Top doctors, mental health experts answer your questions on ‘Coronavirus House Calls’ | May 31
- Homeless Florida student to graduate as valedictorian