TAMPA (WFLA) – Governor Ron DeSantis has sent a letter to President Donald Trump formally requesting that he declare a Major Disaster as Florida responds to COVID-19.
The letter requested the inclusion of the following Individual Assistance Programs in the declaration: Disaster Unemployment Assistance, Crisis Counseling, Community Disaster Loans, and the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Program.
The declaration is submitted as a result of the COVID-19 response for the incident period beginning January 20, 2020, for all 67 Florida counties. In addition to the Individual Assistance Programs, the declaration requests additional resources and support from FEMA.
The letter comes following Florida Senators Rick Scott and Marco Rubio writing a letter to President Trump urging him to approve Florida Governor Ron DeSantis’ request for a major disaster declaration in Florida.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Florida to receive an 18% increase in COVID-19 vaccine allotment, Gov. DeSantis says
- Small diverse-owned businesses hope to benefit from the Super Bowl in Tampa Bay
- Should you be wearing two masks? Here’s what Dr. Fauci says
- Biden: 200 million more COVID-19 vaccines ordered, set to arrive this summer
- World surpasses 100M confirmed COVID-19 cases