TAMPA (WFLA) – 8 On Your Side is digging up more about that data breach at Florida’s unemployment agency.
Lawmakers have learned an email blunder, not hackers are to blame for compromising the names and social security numbers of roughly a hundred unemployed applicants.
It appears a DEO employee sent a test email to the wrong person back in April. An agency spokesperson would not reveal much about what happened other than it was quickly resolved.
Those affected should have been notified by the DEO and the agency is offering free identity protection but doesn’t believe any additional information is at risk.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Bills WR Cole Beasley rather retire than follow NFL COVID rules
- President Biden encourages vaccinations as US looks to miss July 4 target
- Florida vs. CDC cruise lawsuit: Court rules in favor of Florida against conditional sail order
- Florida unemployment up in May, still below national rate
- Biden to announce 300M COVID-19 shots given in 150 days