TAMPA (WFLA) – Nearly 7,000 people are in the hospital currently battling COVID-19 according to newly released data from the Agency of Health Care Administration.
The data shows a county-by-county breakdown of hospitalizations, with the highest reported Bay Area county being Hillsborough at 210 hospitalizations.
The 10 counties that make up the greater Tampa Bay area account for 944 of the state’s hospitalizations. Following this county-by-county breakdown:
- Citrus – 17
- Hardee- 0
- Hernado- 51
- Highlands- 32
- Hillsborough – 210
- Manatee – 84
- Pasco – 92
- Pinellas – 201
- Polk – 138
- Sarasota -119
The county with the most hospitalizations is Miami-Dade with over 1,500.
The new update comes as 100 contract nurses will be coming to the Tampa Bay area to help battle the COVID-19 pandemic.
On Friday, Florida reported an additional 11,433 cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total number of cases to 244,151 across the state with 435 hospitalizations the largest single-day increase the state has seen thus far. A total of 17,602 Floridians have been hospitalized since the beginning of the pandemic.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- All lions, tigers at Smithsonian’s National Zoo test positive for COVID-19
- Restaurant hostess assaulted after asking tourists for vaccine cards, police say
- Pandemic led to ‘alarming’ increase in obesity in kids, study finds
- 2 Polk Co. commissioners agree to send letter pushing for ivermectin, hydroxychloroquine access
- Here are most common side effects experienced after Pfizer booster shots, according to company