WASHINGTON (WFLA/CNN) – More people are rushing to gun shops to buy firearms in Florida.
The state reports last Friday, it conducted more than 13,000 background checks.
That’s compared to the 2,600 plus it ran on the same day last year. That’s nearly a 400 percent increase.
The state points to the coronavirus as the reason why.
The Florida Department of Law Enforcement doesn’t know how many guns were sold in that period.
It tracks background checks, but not actual gun sales.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Amazon fires warehouse worker who led walkout over coronavirus
- Husband hides symptoms to visit wife in maternity ward, Strong Hospital officials say
- Get $200 to watch your favorite Disney movie
- CNN anchor Chris Cuomo tests positive for coronavirus
- Lakeland to reopen some trails, amenities amid coronavirus pandemic