TAMPA (WFLA) – The FHSAA is postponing the start of fall sports amid the coronavirus pandemic.
In an 11-4 to vote, the FHSAA approved the motion to postpone the start of fall sports until August 24th. With the board reconvening with an in-person meeting no later than August 17th. Summer guidelines will remain in place until that date.
The board had originally voted on Jul.20 in favor of maintaining the state’s July 27th start for high school fall sports, including football.
Statewide, 389,868 people have been infected and 5,518 people have died since the beginning of the pandemic.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Florida coronavirus: Positivity rate remains steady as state surpasses 700,000 total cases
- CDC ranks Halloween activities by COVID-19 risk: No trick-or-treating, crowded parties or indoor haunted houses
- 2 officers save man who uses wheelchair from car minutes before it bursts into flames
- Volunteers build playground for 6-year-old South Carolina boy with leukemia
- PTSD after COVID-19: ‘No doubt it’ll happen,’ says National Institute of Mental Health director