(WFLA/CNN Newsource) – A new COVID-19 antibody test is the first to receive independent validation from the federal government.
The Food and Drug Administration has authorized the test, which is made by New Jersey-based Euroimmun.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Florida is reporting 85,926 cases and 3,061 deaths
- Florida in Phase Two of reopening
- Cases have spiked in past week, Gov. DeSantis says due to increased testing
It can tell if people have been inflected with the virus and recovered from it.
The FDA, CDC and the National Institute of Health evaluated the effectiveness of the tests.
Other tests are currently available, but public health officials said they are not accurate.
Many experts believe accurate anti-body testing is key to fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- CDC warns of airborne transmission of COVID-19, then quickly reverses guidance
- WATCH: Manatee says hello to See-Through Canoe near St. Pete
- Bradenton family says two-week repair has left them without a home for nearly three months
- Coronavirus cases rising in school-age Florida children, connection to classroom unknown
- Senate Democrats propose canceling $50K in student loan debt per person