(WFLA/CNN Newsource) – A new academic article says the United States must more than triple coronavirus testing to safely open the economy.
Researchers at Harvard’s Global Health Institute and School of Public Health say the goal should be at least 500,000 tests a day.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Florida is reporting 85,926 cases and 3,061 deaths
- Florida in Phase Two of reopening
- Cases have spiked in past week, Gov. DeSantis says due to increased testing
Right now, the number is close to 150,000.
The researchers say the percentage of positive tests is too high now.
They say that means the US doesn’t have a grasp on the severity of the crisis and how to safely open society.
The World Health Organization has suggested that an adequate test positive rate should be between three and 12 percent.
The WHO reports in the US, that number is around 20 percent.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- More than 60 people vaccinated through Tampa’s ‘Vaccy and Vacay’ campaign geared towards Gen Z
- TSA screens 1.7 million travelers in a single day, highest number since beginning of pandemic
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 3,977 new cases, 65 new deaths
- Hundreds show up to Tampa Health & Fitness Expo, meet WFLA team
- How much money does it take to convince hesitant Americans to get vaccinated?