(WFLA/CNN Newsource) – Dick’s Sporting Goods is finding it impossible to function without any sports.
The big box retailer saidit is furloughing most of its 40,000 employees.
WHAT TO KNOW:
- Florida is reporting 85,926 cases and 3,061 deaths
- Florida in Phase Two of reopening
- Cases have spiked in past week, Gov. DeSantis says due to increased testing
Dick’s said in a regulatory filing that its 800 stores won’t reopen anytime soon.
The closure of gyms, schools and social distancing rules have zapped demand for Dick’s Sports gear.
The athletic goods retailer is still filling online orders and offering curbside pick-up.
The furloughs are effective Sunday, however workers will continue to receive their benefits.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- J&J vaccine to remain in limbo while officials seek evidence
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 6,772 new cases, 44 new deaths
- Rubio, Scott file bill to overturn cruise industry shutdown, resume sailings
- Pause in Johnson & Johnson shot affecting Tampa Bay vaccine sites
- EXPLAINER: What’s known about J&J’s vaccine and rare clots