TAMPA (WFLA) – Governor Ron DeSantis has signed an executive order suspending mortgage foreclosures and evections due to the coronavirus until Aug. 1.
The governor’s original executive order on the issue was signed on April 2 and was scheduled to end on July 1.
The order states this does not relieve an individual from their obligation to make mortgage or rent payments.
Protesters and fellow lawmakers had called on the governor to extend the moratorium on Tuesday.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Fauci: CDC may back wearing face masks more, even for vaccinated people
- ‘Beyond persuasion’: Most unvaccinated Americans likely won’t get shots, poll finds
- Is asking about someone’s COVID vaccine status a HIPAA violation?
- Conservative talk show host Phil Valentine hospitalized with COVID; family urges others to get vaccinated
- COVID vaccination rates need to double to stop recent spike in Florida cases, USF research shows