TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Vice President Mike Pence was in Tampa on Thursday to meet with Gov. Ron DeSantis to discuss the efforts the state is taking to combat COVID-19.
Pence, the head of the Coronavirus Task Force, met with DeSantis at USF Health’s Center for Advanced Medical Learning and Simulation.
The vice president was initially supposed to visit Sarasota on Thursday. He called off the visit, as well as his scheduled Florida bus tour, due to the recent surge of coronavirus cases in the Sunshine State.
Pence announced during a Coronavirus Task Force briefing on Friday that he would visit Florida and other hard-hit states like Texas and Arizona to speak with their governors.
Air Force Two arrived in Tampa around 2 p.m. Thursday. Pence and Dr. Deborah Birx, another member of the coronavirus task force, then met with reporters along with Gov. DeSantis.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Bracing for the upcoming flu season during a pandemic
- Florida coronavirus: State tallies 2,521 new cases
- Idaho pastor hospitalized after defying mask mandate
- Group issues Halloween 2020 guidelines, color-coded coronavirus risk map
- FSU coach Norvell tests positive for coronavirus before Miami game