(NBC) – For the first time since the global coronavirus outbreak began, China has reported no new domestic cases of the illness. Only eight deaths were reported for Wednesday, all of which occurred in Hubei province, which includes the city of Wuhan where the pandemic started.
Globally, the number of coronavirus cases has topped 200,000, according to Johns Hopkins University.
The concern about the economic consequences of the pandemic spurred another widespread decline in stock prices Wednesday, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average closing down over 1,300 points. Meanwhile, two members of Congress have tested positive.
LATEST CORONAVIRUS STORIES:
- Johnson & Johnson begins late-stage vaccine test as U.S. experts say no corners will be cut
- Times Square ball drop will be virtual this year due to pandemic
- Second stimulus checks: How SCOTUS battle could derail $1,200 direct payments
- Florida coronavirus: State surpasses 690,000 total coronavirus cases
- Newsome High School cancels football game against Steinbrenner amid COVID-19 concerns