For some, cooking can be a daunting task and navigating the kitchen can be intimidating. Personal Chef, Debra Murray, joined Guest Host and Double-Certified Nutritionist, Martha VanCamp, on the global health and wellness show, Bloom, with tips for anyone to get started in the kitchen and become a better cook, while whipping up an easy, delicious pan seared steak recipe.
Pan Seared Steaks – Serves 4
- 4 Tenderloin Steaks, 6-8-ounces each, 1 ½-inches thick
- 2-ounces extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher sea salt
- 2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Let filets sit out for 30 minutes before cooking. Rub each steak with oil and season with salt.
- Coarsely crush peppercorns in a mortar and pestle and spread them on a plate evenly.
- Press the filets on both sides into the peppercorns to coat and set aside.
- Preheat sauté pan over medium heat for 2-3
- Add steaks to the pan and cook without moving cook for 4 minutes, turn each steak and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, depending on or desired doneness.
- Remove filets to a serving platter and cover. Off the heat, add Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match.
- Gently shake the pan until the flames die. Return the pan to the heat and add the cream. Bring mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5-6 minutes.
- Add a teaspoon of Cognac and season to taste with salt. Add filets back to pan close flip pan and cook for 2 minutes longer for medium, spoon sauce over and serve.
You can watch Bloom in the Tampa Bay Market weekdays at 2pm on WFLA News Channel 8.
Bloom is now part of DBTV Network, seen in over 300 million households worldwide, including Roku TV, and Amazon Fire.
Bloom also airs in 40 markets across the country, with a reach of approximately 36 million households, and in Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands and Madison, WI.