TAMPA (BLOOM) – Halloween is almost here and there are ways to sneak in healthy, fun treats the kids will enjoy.
Frozen “Boo”-nana Pops
- 1 medium banana
- 1 cup good quality white chocolate*
- 8 mini chocolate chips for eyes
- 4 popsicle sticks
- Cut banana in half lengthwise, then in half to make four quarters. Insert popsicle sticks into bananas, and freeze bananas on a wax paper lined cookie sheet.
- When the bananas are frozen, fill a coffee mug with chocolate. Melt chocolate in the microwave 30 seconds at a time, stirring until the chocolate is melted and soft.
- Dip the bananas one at a time into the chocolate, scraping off the excess chocolate from the back of the banana, and place it on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
- Quickly add the chocolate chips for the eyes before the chocolate hardens (you have to work quickly here).
- Return to the freezer until frozen and ready to eat. Eat frozen.
- A small, sharp kitchen knife
- Filling of choice: fruit salad, oatmeal, yogurt, chocolate mousse, sorbet, etc.
- Slice the tops off of the oranges and set aside. Cut around the insides and remove the orange segments. (Reserve for fruit salad, homemade orange juice, or smoothies.) Cut out faces as you would for a real jack-o-lantern, then fill and serve.