TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – Just ahead of our Founder’s Day of Caring, News Channel 8 is joining stations across the country to illustrate the key roles broadcasters play in our local communities.
On Tuesday, June 11, we are educating and reminding policymakers on how we #BroadcastGood by highlighting our favorite public service projects and activities.
Over the last year, these are some ways News Channel 8 has made a difference in the Tampa Bay community:
- Founder’s Day of Caring – In 2018, about 100 News Channel employees packaged more than 17,000 meals for the food insecure in the Tampa Bay community.
- American Red Cross Hurricane Relief – News Channel 8 collected over $120,000 in monetary donations and supplies to assist with American Red Cross relief efforts after Hurricanes Michael hit the panhandle.
- Shred-A-Thon – In April, News Channel 8 worked hard to keep you and your family safe with a FREE Shred-A-Thon. You were able to bring up to 8 boxes of personal documents including paper and even electronic devices. We shredded more than 65,000 pounds of paper.
- HeartWalk – During our News Channel 8 telethon with the American Heart Association, Stacie’s team was able to raise $136,000.
- Autism Speaks Walk – News Channel 8 raised more than $3,000 to help spread awareness and acceptance of those with autism and their loved ones in the Tampa Bay community.
- Clear the Shelters – We teamed up with hundreds of shelters across the country to host Clear the Shelters, a nationwide pet adoption drive, to help find loving homes for 2,300 animals in need.
- Kindness Day – In December, News Channel 8 hosted hundreds of cars donating more than about 80 pints of blood, 10,000 toys and teddy bears, and 5,400 pounds of food.
- Teddy Bear Round Up – News Channel 8 and the Rough Riders collected teddy bears to give to children in area hospitals during the holidays.
- Health & Fitness Expo – We got you up and moving this spring to pick-up your race packet, do your late registration and grab the latest in running gear.
- Outdoors Expo and Boat Show – News Channel 8 teamed up with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to host the perfect place to explore boats of all shapes and sizes, boating accessories, fishing gear and apparel.