TAMPA, Fla, (WFLA) – Erin Coughenour, owner of The Physio Doc in Tampa, has her money back, after turning to Better Call Behnken when she couldn’t recover money debited from her credit card processing company, Square.
“Thank you so much,” Coughenour told Investigative Consumer Reporter Shannon Behnken. “Customer service changed after you started your investigation.”
As a sole practitioner, Coughenour relies on Square to get paid. She says she was shocked when she received an email from Square stating that the company was deducting $936.33 from her business account, she was stunned.
Every penny has been returned. Coughenour says she had trouble getting a straight answer about the fraud on her own.
“You should be able to call and speak to someone so that you can resolve that quickly, especially in the middle of a pandemic where budgets are really tight for small businesses,” she said.
After hours of phone calls with the company, she says she was told someone apparently opened a fraudulent account and linked it to her account. When the crook ran credit cards fraudulently, Coughenour’s bank account was debited in order to pay the victims back.
A spokeswoman for Square tells Better Call Behnken they are investigating and will work with law enforcement. She sent this general statement:
“We always encourage sellers who are the victims of identity theft to notify us. Usually, a credit monitoring service is how these incidents of identity theft are monitored and discovered. When identity theft has occurred, we will work with law enforcement towards resolution of these issues.
MORE FROM BETTER CALL BEHNKEN
- Retired nurse recovers from coronavirus, couldn’t give plasma because of paperwork roadblock
- Insurance company, debt collector review Dade City woman’s 4-year-old hospital bill
- Dade City woman dealing with 4-year-old hospital bill that insurance company insists it already paid
- As assisted living facility closes, woman fights for mother’s medical records
- St. Petersburg man who was stuck without driveway gets results, after turning to Better Call Behnken