AUSTIN, Texas (WFLA) - A Texas family decided to kick off their fun old-fashion family Christmas by putting up a display recreating a scene from "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation."
But it appears their decorations might look a little too realistic, and are making some people panic.
The Heerlein family recently put the decorations up on their Austin home for a contest. The display is meant to look like the scene from "Christmas Vacation" where Clark Griswold hangs from the roof while putting up Christmas lights.
The family bought a dummy online and left him hanging from the roof by his hands. They also positioned a ladder beneath to make it look like its tipping over.
But some people were fooled and thought a real person was hanging from the gutter. According to the Associated Press, a veteran passing by rushed over to the ladder and moved it while shouting, "Can you reach it?"
The man then called 911. Police say about a dozen other people did too.
The family now has a sign at the bottom of the display that reads, "Clark G is part of our Christmas display please do not call 911."
The man who rushed to help is receiving a $500 gift card for his caring actions.
- Image copyright 2018 Getty Images. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Caught on camera: an arrest related to a deadly shooting in Tampa
- WATCH: Tampa K-9 officer Indo gets last call before retirement
- Shoe launch canceled after officer injured by unruly Florida crowd
- Pence aide out of running to be Trump's next chief of staff