CHARLOTTE: PJ Hairston: 'I can't risk my job' by going to Durham - WFLA News Channel 8

PJ Hairston: 'I can't risk my job' by going to Durham

Posted: Updated:
Former UNC guard P.J. Hairston said he plans to stay away from Durham after an altercation in the city attracted negative attention ahead of his rookie season in the NBA. (Charlotte Hornets) Former UNC guard P.J. Hairston said he plans to stay away from Durham after an altercation in the city attracted negative attention ahead of his rookie season in the NBA. (Charlotte Hornets)
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -

Former UNC guard P.J. Hairston said Thursday that he plans to stay away from Durham after a series of problems in the city derailed his college basketball career and attracted negative attention ahead of his rookie year with the Charlotte Hornets.

On Monday, the Durham County Sheriff's Office issued a summons for Hairston to appear in court on misdemeanor charges of assault and battery following an altercation at a pickup basketball game on Sunday.

While Hairston has been cautious about commenting on the legal matter, he told reporters Thursday that he didn't "have a reason to be back" in Durham.

"I have a job now, so I can't risk my job anymore; and I feel like now I have guys here that I can play ball with. So I don't need to be anywhere else," Hairston said.

He said that being at the four-day Hornets summer camp has been a "sanctuary" for him and it is "how I focus and stay away from everything."

Hairston's summons comes after 17-year-old Kentrell Barkley claimed in court documents that the former UNC guard "punched him twice in the head" on Sunday during a heated basketball game at the Durham YMCA.

Barkley said Hairston became annoyed after his team had lost several games in a row to Barkley's team, at which point he said Hairston dribbled down the court with his left hand and punched the teen with his other in the head before driving to the basket.

Barkley's account of the incident differs from that of Hairston's agent Juan Morrow, however, who said there was a shoving match between the two players and Barkley "took a swing at P.J. and P.J. swung back."

Still, Hairston admitted Thursday that he's maturing and learning, and the accusations are something he'll have to move on from.

"I'm still growing up and I still have a lot of growing up to do," Hairston said. "Life is life, and you're going to make mistakes."

He added, "I'm grown now, I'm a man. I have to take stuff into my own hands."

Hornets coach Steve Clifford said he is confident that Hairston can bounce back and agreed that the confrontation was part of his "maturation process."

"I think he does understand that at this level, it's all on him at the end of the day," Clifford said. "We should all use every crisis or setback as an opportunity to learn. And that's what I hope that he'll do."

"The more I get to know him and watch him, the more confident I am that being a good player is important to him, that he's got good personal qualities and he's going to figure this thing out."

Although Hairston was North Carolina's leading scorer as a sophomore in 2013, he did not play last year because of a number of run-ins with the law. The school decided in December it would not seek reinstatement from the NCAA for Hairston, thus ending his college career.

In June 2013, Hairston and two others were arrested in Durham on a misdemeanor marijuana possession charges while driving a 2013 GMC Yukon that was rented by Haydn Patrick "Fats" Thomas. The charge against Hairston was later dismissed.

Hairston was also pulled in May 2013 for speeding in a 2012 Chevrolet Camaro that was rented under a woman's name sharing Thomas' home address.

Thomas is a convicted Felon who in November pleaded guilty to charges of possession of a firearm by a felon, drug possession with intent to distribute and possession of drug paraphernalia from a December 2012 arrest.

RELATED STORIES

Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.

  • UNC SportsMore>>

  • Former walk-on Hollins making mark at WR for UNC

    Former walk-on Hollins making mark at WR for UNC

    Thursday, September 11 2014 6:58 PM EDT2014-09-11 22:58:23 GMT
    File PhotoFile Photo
    Mack Hollins has suddenly become a big-play receiving threat for North Carolina.
    Mack Hollins has suddenly become a big-play receiving threat for North Carolina.
  • No. 21 UNC holds on to beat San Diego State, 31-27

    No. 21 UNC holds on to beat San Diego State, 31-27

    Sunday, September 7 2014 7:19 AM EDT2014-09-07 11:19:42 GMT
    Make it two rallies in two weeks for No. 21 North Carolina, which erased a two-touchdown deficit in the second half and then held on to beat San Diego State 31-27 on Saturday night after Tim Scott's interception in the end zone with 14 seconds left.
    Make it two rallies in two weeks for No. 21 North Carolina, which erased a two-touchdown deficit in the second half and then held on to beat San Diego State 31-27 on Saturday night after Tim Scott's interception in the end zone with 14 seconds left.
  • No. 23 Tar Heels beat Flames 56-29 in opener

    No. 23 Tar Heels beat Flames 56-29 in opener

    Sunday, August 31 2014 10:25 AM EDT2014-08-31 14:25:51 GMT
    Marquise Williams accounted for four touchdowns while Jeff Schoettmer returned an interception for a score during North Carolina's game-turning flurry, helping the No. 23 Tar Heels beat Liberty 56-29 on Saturday night.
    Marquise Williams accounted for four touchdowns while Jeff Schoettmer returned an interception for a score during North Carolina's game-turning flurry, helping the No. 23 Tar Heels beat Liberty 56-29 on Saturday night.
  • Trending StoriesMore>>

  • SC high school students forced to remove US flags on Sept. 11 anniversary

    SC high school students forced to remove US flags on Sept. 11 anniversary

    Friday, September 12 2014 8:21 PM EDT2014-09-13 00:21:28 GMT
    Flags were displayed in pick-up truck beds... This flag is on the back of the pick up and is from a July 4th event unrelated to Woodruff High...Photo from Wayne Kinton on Twitter ?@WayneKinton Flags were displayed in pick-up truck beds... This flag is on the back of the pick up and is from a July 4th event unrelated to Woodruff High...Photo from Wayne Kinton on Twitter ?@WayneKinton
    Several upset parents say Woodruff High School students were made to remove American flags from their vehicles on September 11.Spartanburg District 4 Superintendent Rallie Liston said four students arrived at the school Thursday morning with U.S. flags prop
    Several upset parents say Woodruff High School students were made to remove American flags from their vehicles on September 11.Spartanburg District 4 Superintendent Rallie Liston said four students arrived at the school Thursday morning with U.S. flags prop
  • American extremist from NC reveals his quest to join ISIS

    American extremist from NC reveals his quest to join ISIS

    Wednesday, September 3 2014 5:23 PM EDT2014-09-03 21:23:46 GMT
    Just a few weeks ago a Catholic-born, American man –- a former military school student, special forces aspirant, law enforcement officer and bodybuilder -- set off on a path far from any he'd envisioned for himself as a kid in North Carolina: on the other side of the world, in Lebanon, he was trying to figure out how to get into Syria and join ISIS, the most radical, bloodthirsty terrorist group of our times.
    Just a few weeks ago a Catholic-born, American man –- a former military school student, special forces aspirant, law enforcement officer and bodybuilder -- set off on a path far from any he'd envisioned for himself as a kid in North Carolina: on the other side of the world, in Lebanon, he was trying to figure out how to get into Syria and join ISIS, the most radical, bloodthirsty terrorist group of our times.
  • Woman charged with murder after stabbing man in neck

    Woman charged with murder after stabbing man in neck

    Sunday, September 14 2014 8:09 PM EDT2014-09-15 00:09:33 GMT
    Jakeya Karynne Davis, 34, of Durham, is charged with murder in the death of Marcus Anthony Keith.Jakeya Karynne Davis, 34, of Durham, is charged with murder in the death of Marcus Anthony Keith.
    Police say a Durham man was stabbed to death Saturday during what appears to have been an argument.
    Police say a Durham man was stabbed to death Saturday during what appears to have been an argument.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.