Tampa family of 7 escapes burning home unharmed - WFLA News Channel 8

Tampa family of 7 escapes burning home unharmed

Posted: Updated:

Tampa Fire Rescue is reminding residents about the importance of having working smoke detectors in your home, after a smoke detector warned a family about a fire which allowed them to escape unharmed.

The fire marshal says an electrical failure in the home's master bedroom caused a fire to break out around 12:54 a.m. Friday.

When firefighters arrived, the single-story home located in the 1500 block of East Annie Street was engulfed in flames.

One adult and six minor children made it out of the home safely.

"Although damage to the home and contents is estimated at $51,000, no price can be put on the lives of the seven people who escaped unscathed. This is a testament to the value and necessity of smoke alarms being installed in residential homes," said TFR Public Information Officer Jason Penny.

Tampa Fire Rescue and the Fire Marshal's office encourages anyone who hears this story to check the batteries in their smoke detectors or, if no smoke detectors are installed in their homes, make a determined effort to install at least one as soon as possible.

Residents in the City of Tampa may contact their nearest fire station to receive one smoke detector and battery at no cost. Find out more about the program and additional information about smoke alarms on the City of Tampa web page at http://goo.gl/2UqCeU.

Copyright WFLA 2014. All rights reserved.

  • Most Viewed Stories on WFLA.com

  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.