Shooting suspect may have had PTSD - WFLA News Channel 8

Shooting suspect may have had PTSD

Posted: Updated:
ST. PETERSBURG, FL (WFLA) - Questions about the treatment of post traumatic stress disorder surround a triple shooting in the 4300 block of Seventh Avenue North Saturday night.
One victim, Mackenzie McConnell, passed away after he was hit by bullets.
"This is a tragedy, and we are still trying to cope with the loss,” McConnell's father told News Channel 8 Sunday.

The shooting occurred shortly after 10 p.m. Saturday.
According to the arrest affidavits, 34-year-old Jason Faber saw two men outside. McConnell and his friend, Alexander Usher, were loading items into a car when Faber spotted the men through a window.
The affidavit states Faber grabbed a 9mm handgun from under his bed then went outside. He opened fired into the car without saying a word to the two occupants.

 McConnell was hit in in the upper body and neck area. Usher was shot in the buttocks and lower abdomen.

A third man, David Oard, was grazed in the head by a bullet that came through the window of his house across the street.

“All I know is that if that bullet hole is any different than what it is now, I don't think David would be alive," said Tina Lambert, Oard’s girlfriend.

Oard remained in the hospital Sunday night, Lambert said. Doctors had not removed bullet fragments from his head in fear it might impact his vision.

“I'm finding out that he may be one of our war veterans," Lambert said, referring to Faber. "Why aren't we helping them?”

St. Petersburg police said Faber's wife told officers her husband suffers from PTSD. Police report that Faber thought the men outside his home were involved in drug activity.

Faber’s facebook photo’s show his time in action. It’s not clear if he was being treated for PTSD.

Affidavits also show how Faber ran five red lights, drove south in the northbound lanes and was driving 70 mph in a 35 mph zone when law enforcement attempted to arrest him. Faber’s car was eventually rammed by a police cruiser.

“Faber appeared to be trying to reach for a handgun, but he was restrained by officers before he could do so. The handgun believed to have been used in the shooting was recovered from inside the car. Neither Faber nor the officers involved in the arrest suffered any physical injuries, but Faber was taken to the hospital to be medically cleared before being brought to the station for an interview with detectives,” said St. Petersburg police spokesman Mike Puetz.

Faber is charged with First Degree murder, two counts of attempted first degree murder and fleeing and eluding police. He is locked up without bond.

  • Most Viewed Stories on

  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.