Fayetteville moving forward with plans to reinstall red light ca - WFLA News Channel 8

Fayetteville moving forward with plans to reinstall red light cameras

Posted: Updated:
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. - Fayetteville city council is now taking another approach to put red light cameras back at intersections. During discussion this week they considered pushing to change the law that forced the city to take down the cameras seven years ago.

Many other cities also took down their red light cameras because of that law. It required 90 percent of payments from violations to go to local school systems. Violations dropped to a point that the remaining 10 percent was not enough to cover the cost of operating the cameras.

So Fayetteville's city council hopes to get the law changed to allow the city to cover the cost of cameras first and then send any additional money to schools. Councilman Jim Arp who has pushed to reinstall the cameras said he supports the law change.

“That would allow the cost of the cameras to be covered by the fees, and then whatever money is left after the cost of the cameras, to go to the school system,” Arp said.

He believes the cameras will cut down on accidents, which could reduce car insurance rates. He also thinks the cameras could help free up police officers.

“Our perspective is simply it’s a way to deter risky behavior on our roads and to save lives,” Arp said. “So the idea is to see if we can get a modification to the current law.”

Council will take a vote next week, and if they unanimously support red light cameras, they will ask state senator Wesley Meredith to introduce the new law in the upcoming legislative session.

Fayetteville previously had ten cameras at eight intersections around the city. The city ended its red light camera program and took them down in 2007.

Data show that while the cameras were in operation side-angle accidents dropped at some intersections up to 60 percent. The city’s data also show rear-end collisions also dropped.

Brandon Herring

Brandon is a North Carolina native and UNC alum who lives in Fayetteville, and covers Cumberland County and the Sandhills. Returning to North Carolina to work as a journalist is a dream come true for Brandon. More>>

  • Cumberland CountyMore>>

  • 2 critically injured in Fayetteville shooting

    2 critically injured in Fayetteville shooting

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:28 PM EDT2014-08-02 03:28:03 GMT
    Fayetteville police reported two men shot and critically wounded Friday night.Police say it happened about 9:30 p.m. in a mobile home park in the 300 block of Peejay Lane in the Bonnie Doone subdivision.The victims were being treated at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center. Their names were not released Friday night.Police do not believe the shooting was random.Detectives ask anyone with information tocontact Detective J. Nevitt with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 433-1856 or Crimesto...
    Fayetteville police reported two men shot and critically wounded Friday night.Police say it happened about 9:30 p.m. in a mobile home park in the 300 block of Peejay Lane in the Bonnie Doone subdivision.The victims were being treated at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center. Their names were not released Friday night.Police do not believe the shooting was random.Detectives ask anyone with information tocontact Detective J. Nevitt with the Fayetteville Police Department at (910) 433-1856 or Crimesto...
  • Police make arrest in Fort Bragg soldier's murder

    Police make arrest in Fort Bragg soldier's murder

    Friday, August 1 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-08-02 00:39:50 GMT
    Adacia Bruton, 20, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Fort Bragg soldier Justin Moore.Adacia Bruton, 20, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Fort Bragg soldier Justin Moore.
    Police arrested a Fort Bragg soldier in the murder of a fellow soldier who was found shot to death in Fayetteville Wednesday.
    Police arrested a Fort Bragg soldier in the murder of a fellow soldier who was found shot to death in Fayetteville Wednesday.
  • 911 calls reveal some details in Cumberland Co. shootout

    911 calls reveal some details in Cumberland Co. shootout

    Friday, August 1 2014 1:21 PM EDT2014-08-01 17:21:52 GMT
    Emergency phone calls to 911 reveal some of the details surrounding a shooting in Cumberland County Wednesday that left three people dead and a deputy seriously injured.
    Emergency phone calls to 911 reveal some of the details surrounding a shooting in Cumberland County Wednesday that left three people dead and a deputy seriously injured.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.