Durham: Prosecution can seek death penalty in Durham boy's death - WFLA News Channel 8

Judge: prosecution can seek death penalty in Durham boy's death

Posted: Updated:
Last month the state said it would seek the death penalty against Everett Lamont Graves, who is accused of killing 9-year-old Jaeden Sharpe. Last month the state said it would seek the death penalty against Everett Lamont Graves, who is accused of killing 9-year-old Jaeden Sharpe.
DURHAM, N.C. - A judge in Durham ruled Tuesday that prosecutors can seek the death penalty against a Durham man accused of fatally shooting a 9-year-old boy earlier this year.

Last month the state said it would seek the death penalty against Everett Lamont Graves, who is accused of killing 9-year-old Jaeden Sharpe. On Tuesday, the judge determined that the state’s case meets the requirement for the death penalty.

Sharpe was shot Jan. 4 and died from his injuries.

Graves turned himself in to authorities Jan. 23. He is charged with murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

Sharpe and his mother, 31-year-old Lakeisha Holloway, were in a vehicle on Lucas Drive when shots were fired into the vehicle Jan. 4 around 6 p.m.

Holloway drove away to get help and she and her son were taken to the hospital for treatment of serious injuries.

Sharpe was a third-grader at W.G. Pearson Elementary School.

RELATED STORIES
Copyright 2014 WNCN. All rights reserved.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.