One of two men convicted of a string of home invasions in Raleigh has been sentenced to a minimum of 26 years in prison.
Shabar Marshall, 17, pleaded guilty to 15 charges in connection the crimes, including attempted murder. The defense had asked that Shabar serve at least 25 years in prison.
During Monday’s sentencing, Shabar said he pleaded guilty to take responsibility and to prevent the victims’ families from going through another trial.
"I regret that I did it every day," Shabar Marshall said. "I want to own up to what I did instead of trying to waste anybody's time. I know I did it, so there was no point in going to trial for it.
Last week, a jury found Shabar’s older brother, 27-year-old Jahaad Marshall, guilty and sentenced him to 263 years in prison.
During his trial, Jahaad took the stand against his attorney’s advice, blaming the home invasions on a third person.
One of the home invasions took place in the historic Oakwood neighborhood, leaving a man paralyzed while trying to protect his wife from being sexually assaulted.
Copyright WNCN 2014. All rights reserved.
Amtrak services are delayed in Morrisville due to a freight trail derailment, authorities said.
200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606