Groups complain NC schools keep immigrant kids out - WFLA News Channel 8

Groups complain NC schools keep immigrant kids out

Posted: Updated:
RALEIGH, N.C. -

Civil rights groups want the U.S. Justice Department to investigate whether North Carolina school districts are refusing to enroll some immigrant children despite being required to take all comers.

The groups said Tuesday they filed a complaint last week with the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division against school districts in Buncombe and Union counties. The complaint says the school districts told two 17-year-old immigrant children with limited English skills they were too old for high school.

The groups including Legal Services of Southern Piedmont in Charlotte and the Alabama-based Southern Poverty Law Center say the immigrant children are being turned away from other North Carolina classrooms.

Buncombe school officials said they believe some parts of the complaint are inaccurate. A Union County spokesman did not respond to requests for comment.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.