1 recipe for grits serving four people prepared according to package instructions
For Jalapeno Cheese Grits:
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
½ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp. butter
½ cup shredded jack or cheddar cheese
1. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and stir in the jalapenos, cream and butter. Simmer the grits gently, uncovered, until the mixture pulls away from the side of the pan, about 10 minutes. Stir it frequently with a wooden spoon. Add the cheese and stir until melted, correct the seasoning, adding salt or pepper to taste. Serve as a side dish with your choice of entrees.
For Grit Cakes:
1. Pour the grits into a baking sheet and even out the top with a spatula. The grits should be about ½ in. thick. Let cool to room temperature and cover loosely with film and refrigerate 4 hours or for up to 2 days.
2. Preheat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Meanwhile, cut the grits with a knife or cookie cutter into as many pieces as needed. Using a spatula, remove each piece from the baking sheet pan and place in the heated pan cook until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately.
For Corn & Goat Cheese Grits:
1½ cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
4 oz. Goat cheese, room temperature
1. When grits are almost finished cooking as above (without the cheese and jalapenos), stir in the corn followed by the goat cheese and cook until cheese is fully melted, about 4 minutes and serve.
For Breakfast Grits:
1 cup toasted Walnuts, chopped
1 Gala Apple, peeled, cored and diced into ½ inch pieces
1. When Grits are almost finished cooking as above (without the cheese and jalapenos), stir in the nuts and apples and cook for about 4 minutes and serve.
Can also substitute dried craisins, diced dried apricots or mixed dried fruit for the apple above.