Couple also had texting run-in with Pasco theater shooting suspe - WFLA News Channel 8

Couple also had texting run-in with Pasco theater shooting suspect

Posted: Updated:
Michael and Jamira Dixon say they had an encounter with the Pasco theater shooting suspect Michael and Jamira Dixon say they had an encounter with the Pasco theater shooting suspect
Curtis Reeves being arrested after the shooting Curtis Reeves being arrested after the shooting
WESLEY CHAPEL, FL (WFLA) - A Wesley Chapel couple says Curtis Reeves’ deadly run-in with Chad Oulson was not his first encounter with someone about texting at the Cobb Grove Theater.

Investigators questioned Michael and Jamira Dixon, who said they were in a strange and unsettling situation with Reeves about two and a half weeks before Monday’s shooting. 

“There’s no question; we know it’s him,” said Michael Dixon. “It’s one of those things where it’s a person you’ll likely never forget.”

Complete coverage: Pasco movie theater shooting

The Dixons say they took their three children and a niece to see “The Hobbit” on Saturday, Dec. 28. It was an afternoon matinee. The Dixons say a man whom they believe was Reeves complained about people texting during the previews of the movie, much like investigators said he did during the “Lone Survivor” where the shooting occurred.

Jamira Dixon said it started when she picked up her phone to text a friend.  Not long after that, an usher showed up to tell her to put it away, or she would be kicked out.

“We noticed at the end [of our row] this guy and he’s still talking with the usher and angrily pointing at us, shaking his hands and everything,” Jamira Dixon said.

Her 6 year-old son shifted in his seat, which seemed to irritate Reeves. Then the man’s phone in front of their row lit up.

“It’s not a ping – not a loud vibrate or anything,” she said. “It’s just the light that went off on his phone and it bothered [Reeves] so much he leaned over and when he leaned over he said ‘can you please, please turn that off.’”

As the night went on, Dixon said Reeves “glared” at her.

“He was just completely irate about everything that happened in the theater,” Jamira Dixon said. “I really feel like he [was] harassing everyone in the theater and it was so much that people could not enjoy the movie because he was being that rude.”

After his arrest, Reeves, who is 71, told investigators that he got into a verbal argument with Oulson, 43, about phone usage.  He told them Oulson stood up and threw something that hit him in the face.  Some witnesses believe it was popcorn.  According to the arrest report, Reeves told investigators he took the 380 semi-automatic handgun from his pants pocket and fired one round.

It hit Oulson in the chest.  Reeves said “he was in fear of being attacked.”

Sign up for free breaking news and headline email alerts

  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields

    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.