Survivor of crash that killed Bobby Bowden's grandson released f - WFLA News Channel 8

Survivor of crash that killed Bobby Bowden's grandson released from hospital

Posted: Updated:
Two men were found dead inside a car that ran off the road and into a creek in Winter Haven. Two men were found dead inside a car that ran off the road and into a creek in Winter Haven.
T.J. Bowden, the 23-year-old grandson of former FSU football coach Bobby Bowden, was one of two men who died in the crash. Image courtesy: Facebook T.J. Bowden, the 23-year-old grandson of former FSU football coach Bobby Bowden, was one of two men who died in the crash. Image courtesy: Facebook
WINTER HAVEN, FL (WFLA) -

The sole survivor of the car crash that killed two men, including the grandson of former Florida State University football coach Bobby Bowden, is out of the hospital and recovering at home with his family. Autopsy results released Friday show the other passengers in the car both drowned.

Investigators believe Robert Lewis Edwards, 22 of 655 Jeffrey St. in Boca Raton, was likely in the upside-down, submerged car for as many as 10 hours and survived. Doctors at Winter Haven Hospital treated him for hypothermia and an abrasion on his head before they released him.

“It’s a miracle he made it,” said Saul Velasquez-Mejia, the man who spotted the car and led deputies to the scene. “God makes miracles.”

Velasquez works picking up brush on a Florida Refuse Truck. He was in the passenger seat of a truck when he noticed the fence was down on Country Club Road South, between Dundee Rd. and Lake Hamilton Rd around 7:45 Thursday morning.

“I see a fence tore up…and the corner of what looked like a car in the ditch,” Velasquez said. “I told my driver to slow down, check it out.”

They didn’t know at the time that Edwards and two others were in the submerged Mitsubishi: Rafael Valim, the 25 year-old driver of 112 Campbell Dr. in Winter Haven, and Taylor Jeffrey “TJ” Bowden, Bobby Bowden’s grandson, who was 23 of 337 Towhee Rd. in Winter Haven.

The Polk Co. Sheriff’s Office said preliminarily that, based on interviews with the men's friends and family and phone calls from that night, it appears the three were at Indigo's bar on US 17 in Winter Haven during Christmas evening. Deputies believe the crash happened around 2:00 a.m. the next morning, Dec. 26. They think the men were on their way to a friend's house in the area of where the crash occurred.

Deputies say alcohol appears to be a factor in the crash, but they are awaiting toxicology results to make a final determination.

Velasquez spotted the car around 7:45 and Winter Haven Police, PCSO Deputies, Fire/EMS, and the PCSO dive team arrived on-scene not long after. There were no signs of life from within the car. The front end it was completely submerged, and a portion of the back end was sticking up out of the water, according to deputies.

Then around 11:45 a.m., nearly 10 hours after the wreck likely happened, deputies on the dive team heard noises coming from within the car. Edwards was telling them he was cold and needed help. Until that point, deputies say, he was quiet and did not respond to any of the first responders' efforts to locate survivors.

The dive team, comprised of Deputy Sheriff Jeff Kistler and Deputy Sheriff Bob Clayton, pulled Edwards from the car. He had been in the back seat and survived, submerged in the water up to his neck.

“I want to shake his hand and say 'God has a purpose for you,'” Velasquez said. “It’s not your time.”

Sign up for free breaking news and headline email alerts http://8.wfla.com/18DCEqk 


  • 8 On Your SideMore>>

  • Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

    Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

    Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.
  • Lakeland neighborhood has continuing water problems, asks 8OYS for help

    Lakeland neighborhood has continuing water problems, asks 8OYS for help

    Friday, August 29 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:03:34 GMT
    Some Lakeland residents are tired of wondering whether they'll have water at home. Over the past month, they tell 8 On Your Side that they've lost water with no warning at least five times. And what's worse, the water stays off for up to eight hours at a time
    Some Lakeland residents are tired of wondering whether they'll have water at home. Over the past month, they tell 8 On Your Side that they've lost water with no warning at least five times. And what's worse, the water stays off for up to eight hours at a time
  • Abercrombie dropping logo to boost brand

    Abercrombie dropping logo to boost brand

    Friday, August 29 2014 7:15 AM EDT2014-08-29 11:15:46 GMT
    The Abercrombie & Fitch logo has lost the power it once wielded, so the struggling teen retailer plans to strip off the once-prized logo from its clothing. Shares tumbled Thursday after it reported weak sales as more teens shop elsewhere. 
    The Abercrombie & Fitch logo has lost the power it once wielded, so the struggling teen retailer plans to strip off the once-prized logo from its clothing. Shares tumbled Thursday after it reported weak sales as more teens shop elsewhere. 
  • NewsMore>>

  • Thief steals lawn equipment from struggling Spring Hill family

    Thief steals lawn equipment from struggling Spring Hill family

    Friday, August 29 2014 7:44 PM EDT2014-08-29 23:44:24 GMT
    Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.
    A thief stole a trailer full of lawn equipment from a home in Spring Hill overnight on Wednesday.Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.“I wanted to die. I really did,” he said.He used the lawn equipment to cut grass for free for people suffering from cancer and other serious health conditions.
    A thief stole a trailer full of lawn equipment from a home in Spring Hill overnight on Wednesday.Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.“I wanted to die. I really did,” he said.He used the lawn equipment to cut grass for free for people suffering from cancer and other serious health conditions.
  • Former Pasco massage therapist and massage business face $47 million judgement

    Former Pasco massage therapist and massage business face $47 million judgement

    Friday, August 29 2014 6:27 PM EDT2014-08-29 22:27:42 GMT
    Raul Alberto Delarosa is already serving 10 years sex offender probation after his conviction for assaulting a female massage client two years ago.But a worse punishment may have beenhanded him this week when a Pasco jury in a civil case awarded the victim a $47.4 million judgment --much of which is owned by the company 
    Raul Alberto Delarosa is already serving 10 years sex offender probation after his conviction for assaulting a female massage client two years ago.But a worse punishment may have beenhanded him this week when a Pasco jury in a civil case awarded the victim a $47.4 million judgment --much of which is owned by the company 
  • Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

    Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

    Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields






    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.