UNC data breach could affect 6,000 - WFLA News Channel 8

UNC data breach could affect 6,000

Posted: Updated:
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill said a data breach could impact up to 6,000 people.

In a release, the university said some electronic files in the Division of Finance and Administration became accessible on the Internet. The files contained information such as names and Social Security or Employee Tax Identification numbers, and in some cases, addresses and dates of birth.

The files involved personal information about some current and former employees, vendors and students.

"Other than Google's activities described above, we have not been able to determine whether individual personal information was accessed by others or was misused as a result of this incident," Kevin Seitz, interim vice chancellor for finance and administration, said in the notification letter sent to the affected people's last known addresses.

As of Nov. 23, the records were no longer accessible on the Internet after Google complied with a request from the university.

Recent UNC graduates had mixed opinions on the breach. 

Sagi Gillera said, "If it was through the school, that's kind of hard to believe because we have to change our password to sign in for stuff at school, grades, for assignments every three months." 

Omar Alsai said, "I didn't think it was too big a deal because I keep up with all my stuff. You hear about it all the time so it wasn't that big of a surprise."

Meanwhile Andrea Hamersky said, "I think it is horrible. I don't think it's right for students and faculty to have to go through that."

The investigation into how the data was make accessible started last month and the university started notifying those affected Dec. 10.

People also can contact the toll-free call center assisting the University at 1-866-458-3184 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays until Feb. 10. People at the call center are able to assist in English or Spanish, and anyone needing translation assistance in Burmese or Karen can call the Facilities Services human resources office at 919-962-9060 or visit the office in Room 110 of the Giles Horney Building on Airport Drive.

Eileen Park

Eileen joined WNCN after years of working as a foreign correspondent. During her time off, she enjoys relaxing with her dogs, reading, and exploring the Triangle. More>>

  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Mom bites off dog's ear to save daughter during attack

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:49 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:49:19 GMT
    Image from CNN/KHOU-TVImage from CNN/KHOU-TV
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
    In a backyard in Alvin, swings a very lucky girl. Her name is Mackenzi Plass, or Kenzi for short, and she survived a dog attack and has undergone several surgeries."She'll be two and a half in May," said her very proud mother Chelsi Camp. "She's doing great. You wouldn't know it if you couldn't see."Mackenzi has scars on her face after the ordeal just weeks ago that put her mother's animal instincts to the test."You do whatever you can," said Camp. "I don't have physical strength at my side."...
  • Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Owner of Raleigh 'Party Mansion' guilty of tax evasion

    Monday, April 14 2014 4:07 PM EDT2014-04-14 20:07:04 GMT
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
    Claude Verbal II, who now lives in Miami, pleads guilty to a number of federal tax evasion charges.
  • Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Indictment: Prosecutor was target of Wake Forest kidnapping

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 6:57 PM EDT2014-04-22 22:57:33 GMT
    The U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest homeThe U.S. Department of Justice said Kevin Melton has been charged with conspiring to kidnap in relation to the abduction of Frank Janssen from his Wake Forest home
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
    Nine people have been indicted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wake Forest man whose daughter prosecuted a high-ranking member of the Bloods street gang.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.