Chatham Co. mission house burns on Thanksgiving - WFLA News Channel 8

Chatham Co. mission house burns on Thanksgiving

Posted: Updated:
MONCURE, N.C. -

A mission house in Moncure burned Thursday, destroying the belongings of two families who lived there.

The house doubles as a home for the homeless as well as a Kid's Warehouse that store's children's furniture, clothes, and necessities for those in need. 

Firefighters said the fire likely spread from the fireplace when no one was home at the house in the 800 block of Chatham Church Road in Moncure.

Two families were temporarily using the house but were not home when the fire broke out.

Beth Morton helps run the mission house and said everything in the home is a loss. She's asking for donations. Morton said the house helps those in need.

"There was a fire cinder that popped out somewhere," Morton said.

Ann Williams lived in the home and was devastated to realize that all of her belongings as well as her children's asthma medicine was lost in the fire. "We don't have anywhere to go right now" said Williams.

Donations of any kind are accepted but the couple is looking to replace lost furniture, clothes and children's toys.

Donations can be sent to:

The Kids Warehouse, INC
P.O. Box 9
Pittsboro, N.C. 27312

Eileen Park

Eileen joined WNCN after years of working as a foreign correspondent. During her time off, she enjoys relaxing with her dogs, reading, and exploring the Triangle. More>>

  • Local NewsMore>>

  • Family of Sampson Co. house fire victims pay respects

    Family of Sampson Co. house fire victims pay respects

    Monday, September 1 2014 12:04 AM EDT2014-09-01 04:04:53 GMT
    Six people, representing three different families, died in a house fire over the weekend.Six people, representing three different families, died in a house fire over the weekend.
    Family and friends of six people who died in a house fire are paying respects. Flames ripped through a mobile home on Gibbs Road just outside the city of Garland in Sampson County early Saturday morning.
    Family and friends of six people who died in a house fire are paying respects. Flames ripped through a mobile home on Gibbs Road just outside the city of Garland in Sampson County early Saturday morning.
  • Chatham Co. man's pine coffins make for greener burials

    Chatham Co. man's pine coffins make for greener burials

    Sunday, August 31 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-08-31 22:30:36 GMT
    Don Byrne works to make pine coffins with out any power tools for those who want to keep their carbon footprint small until the very end.Don Byrne works to make pine coffins with out any power tools for those who want to keep their carbon footprint small until the very end.
    Don Byrne works to make pine coffins with out any power tools for those who want to keep their carbon footprint small until the very end.
    Don Byrne works to make pine coffins with out any power tools for those who want to keep their carbon footprint small until the very end.
  • 1 dead in shooting at large party in Burlington

    1 dead in shooting at large party in Burlington

    Sunday, August 31 2014 4:03 PM EDT2014-08-31 20:03:32 GMT
    File PhotoFile Photo
    Investigators say one man was killed and a second critically injured in a shooting at a Burlington motel where several hundred people were gathered for a party.
    Investigators say one man was killed and a second critically injured in a shooting at a Burlington motel where several hundred people were gathered for a party.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.