UNC task force recommends changes to sexual assault procedure - WFLA News Channel 8

UNC task force recommends changes to sexual assault procedure

Posted: Updated:

A small panel will likely hear sexual assault cases at UNC-Chapel Hill instead of a single person.

That was one of the recommendations the university's sexual assault task force agreed on Monday.

The school formed the task force earlier this year after questions of how it handled on-campus sexual assaults.

Members also agreed that students should not sit on the panel that hears sexual assault cases.

Christi Hurt, the interim Title IX coordinator for UNC, said that decision was made "because it's so hard for students to tell their stories in front of other students."

But, Hurt said, "There's a lot of interest in making sure students have a voice in this process and serve in some type of advisory body or training group or something, so there's still an intimate connection to students."

The task force is still talking about suggesting the university hire someone to serve on the hearing panels – to give consistency – and to manage all that goes along with the cases.

Justin Quesinberry

Justin is a reporter for WNCN and a North Carolina native. He has spent the better part of the last decade covering the news in central North Carolina.  More>>

Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.