Authorities in Durham said a man who died in a house fire on Friday afternoon was likely smoking in bed before he passed.
The fire broke out just after 4 p.m. at a residence in the 400 block of Dupree Street. Firefighters found flames inside an upstairs bedroom after seeing smoke coming from the home, authorities said. Crews found the body of adult male inside.
Authorities said he still had matches in hand. The fire has been ruled accidental and related to smoking in bed.
Neighbors tell WNCN an elderly black male lived in the residence.
Durham fire officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home. The medical examiner will use dental records to identify the man.