Woman saves couple, infant, dogs and deer from burning SC home - WFLA News Channel 8

Woman saves couple, infant, dogs and deer from burning SC home

Posted: Updated:
Photo per Gtowntimes Photo per Gtowntimes
  • Most Popular StoriesMost Popular StoriesMore>>

  • April Mugshots

    April Mugshots

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 2:42 PM EDT2014-04-22 18:42:32 GMT
    Thomas Allen WinstonThomas Allen Winston
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
    The following are mugshots and charges of individuals arrested between April 1-4 by the Sullivan County Sheriff's Office.
  • Greene Co. deputies arrest 11 people reportedly involved in drug activity, burglary

    Greene Co. deputies arrest 11 people reportedly involved in drug activity, burglary

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 11:25 AM EDT2014-04-22 15:25:46 GMT
    Sharon DaleSharon Dale
    The Greene County Sheriff’s Department arrested 11 people Saturday morning through Monday afternoon, who were reportedly involved in illegal drug activity and a residential burglary.
    The Greene County Sheriff’s Department arrested 11 people Saturday morning through Monday afternoon, who were reportedly involved in illegal drug activity and a residential burglary.
  • March Mugshots

    March Mugshots

    Monday, April 7 2014 12:49 PM EDT2014-04-07 16:49:38 GMT
    Michelle Marie Bussiere was arrested last week and charged with identity theft, forgery, theft under $500, among other charges.  (Source: Sullivan County Sheriff's Office)Michelle Marie Bussiere was arrested last week and charged with identity theft, forgery, theft under $500, among other charges. (Source: Sullivan County Sheriff's Office)
    This photo gallery features mugshots of individuals arrested in northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia. 
    This photo gallery features mugshots of individuals arrested in northeast Tennessee and southwest Virginia. 

GEORGETOWN CO, SC  - A Georgetown woman sprung into action Tuesday morning when she saw a home on fire as she drove to work.

Brad and Beverly Thompkins lived in the house on Saint Delights Road, and were sleeping at the time. Also inside, a one-month-old they were babysitting, three dogs, and a pet deer.

"If it wasn't for her, we would have probably died," Brad said.

He was talking about Stacey Simpson, as he sat in the back of a pickup truck with a small pile of items firefighters saved from the house.

"I'm thankful to be alive, but I don't know where to go from here," Thompkins said.

Simpson said earlier that morning was she on her way to work when she saw smoke coming from the area. As she got closer, she said she saw flames coming from the Thompkins house and knew she had to do something.

"I was just really concerned, my heart started racing and adrenaline came over me," Simpson said.

She said she raced up to the door, knocked and knocked, but heard nothing so she forced open the door.

"She was screaming 'Your house is on fire, your house is on fire! Get up, get up! Get out!'" Brad recalled.

Simpson said when it happened she had no time to and think about the danger.

"If it was me, I would want someone to do the same thing or I'd be hoping that somebody would be there to help," she said.

Brad said when he woke up, his first concern was the baby.

"The main thing I was worried about was the baby. I brought the baby outside and gave the baby to my wife, and I went back inside to try and get the dogs and stuff started falling from the ceiling," Brad explained.

The Thompkins were able to save the deer and two of the dogs, but lost a puppy and their home in the fire.

Despite the loss, Brad said he is thankful.

"If it wasn't for her, we probably would have died in this house. It's unbelievable. Last night when I went to bed I didn't think today was going to bring this," Brad said.

And neither did his neighbor.

Brad said Simpson is their hero, but she insists she is just an ordinary person who did what anyone else passing by would have done.

"I'm just grateful I was there at that moment, and that time, and that I had the courage to do what needed to be done," Simpson said.

No official cause of the fire has been released, but Brad insists it was old electrical wiring that caused the problems. He encourages others to get their homes checked by a professional annually.

For more information on how you can help the family, contact Kelsey Riggs at kriggs@wbtw.com.

Copyright 2013 WBTW. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.