St. Pete government worker devastated by shutdown - WFLA News Channel 8

St. Pete government worker devastated by shutdown

ST PETERSBURG, FL -

For government workers like Vivien Henderson, the last sixteen days have been a nightmare.

Henderson lives in St. Petersburg and is a single mother of two.  She lives paycheck to paycheck. When the government shut down, the bills started to pile up. "My electric, they told me I could pay them the beginning of November, my cable bill is back due, my water was about to be shut off, so I had to borrow money, from people." said Henderson.

To make matters worse, Henderson had just spent 1,550 dollars as a first month's rent for a larger home in Hillsborough County.

When she learned she might be furloughed, she backed out of the deal. Her deposit was lost. "As soon as they said there might be a shutdown, I backed out of my lease, because I didn't know if I was going to get a paycheck in the future and I didn't want to go into a home knowing that I wouldn't have money to pay rent and then get evicted and be on the streets. "

Henderson is currently working with the rental agency, and is hoping to come to a resolution. In the meantime, she's hopeful she'll be able to get back on top of her finances. "I'm blessed that I have a job still," Said Henderson. "And now that I know I'm going to get paid, I'm able to pay all my bills. But just all this stress these past two weeks, not knowing. That's the worst part. Not knowing what was going to happen. When we were going to reopen. "

Related Content: Government Shutdown

Don’t miss out on the day’s top Facebook conversations http://on.fb.me/18y81Cl

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

FL vehicle registration renewal fees drop

Monday, September 1 2014 6:49 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:49:59 GMT
    That little gift you get from the state on your birthday every year, to renew your car tag, is going to be cheaper starting Monday.  The cut will save drivers about $13 to $25 depending on the size of their vehicle.

Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.

Lakeland neighborhood has continuing water problems, asks 8OYS for help

Friday, August 29 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:03:34 GMT
    Some Lakeland residents are tired of wondering whether they'll have water at home. Over the past month, they tell 8 On Your Side that they've lost water with no warning at least five times. And what's worse, the water stays off for up to eight hours at a time

Labor Day - more than just a day off

Monday, September 1 2014 6:41 AM EDT2014-09-01 10:41:03 GMT
    While many people have the day off work, the day is actually meant to celebrate the achievements and contributions of American workers.

Two shot outside party in Tampa

Monday, September 1 2014 3:59 AM EDT2014-09-01 07:59:20 GMT
    Two people have gunshot wounds after a shooting outside a party in Tampa early Sunday morning, Tampa police said.

Pilot dies in plane crash near downtown St. Pete

Monday, September 1 2014 3:44 AM EDT2014-09-01 07:44:26 GMT
    Rescue boaters are on the scene of a downed banner plane near Albert Whitted Airport.Rescue boaters are on the scene of a downed banner plane near Albert Whitted Airport.
    The pilot of a banner plane that crashed into the water near Albert Whitted Airport has died, St. Petersburg police officials said.

• Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.