Deadly fire in Brandon was accidental - WFLA News Channel 8

Deadly fire in Brandon was accidental

Posted: Updated:

Hillsborough County Fire Rescue officials say an accidental mattress fire in a bedroom started a house fire that killed a woman in Brandon on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters responded to a fire at a home on Southwind Drive. Hillsborough County Fire Rescue Public Information Officer Ronnie Rivera said when firefighters arrived at the home they found heavy smoke coming from the front door of the house and a man and a woman in the front foyer area of the home.

Rivera said the man was performing CPR on the woman. He said the woman was transported to a local hospital where she later died.

Rivera said firefighters quickly put out the fire in the bedroom.

Firefighters say the man was treated on the scene, but was not taken to a hospital. Rivera said a family cat was also killed in the fire.

Officials say the fire caused heavy smoke damage throughout the house and the Red Cross will assist the man.

Stay with
WFLA.com for the latest on this developing story.

Sign up for free breaking news and headline email alerts
http://8.wfla.com/18DCEqk

 

 
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

    * denotes required fields






    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.