Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer - WFLA News Channel 8

Man wants to thank Sarasota mystery rescuer

SARASOTA COUNTY, FL -

A tourist in Sarasota is alive today thanks to a mysterious teenager.

Earlier this week, the man nearly drowned as he was caught in a rip current at Turtle Beach.

The man wants a chance to say "thank you".

Jonathan Kiviniemi and his wife Alexa Miller are spending the week at Turtle Beach for their honeymoon.

On Monday evening, they went to the beach together.

Alexa went to snap photographs but Jonathan swam right out into the water.

There was a warning out there, but he swam anyway, and soon regretted it.

“There was a riptide warning, I wasn’t paying attention to it, probably should’ve being from out of town,” he said.

Kiviniemi said, "A wave crashed over my head that I didn't see, ducked me under. Came back up. When I came up, another wave hit me, started to get water in my throat and stuff."

"Absolutely terrifying,” said Alexa Miller.

Kiviniemi said, "[I] tried to find my way back in, couldn't. Started getting weaker and weaker, I started yelling for help."

"He was going to die,” said Miller.

Suddenly, a young boy, around 13 or so, was swimming with a yellow surfboard back to shore.

Miller heard the boy's mother yelling at him.

“She was yelling at him, ‘Dane! Go get him! Go get him!” said Miller.

In the meantime, Kiviniemi was still struggling in the water.

He said, "For me, he came out of nowhere. I was fighting to stay up and all of a sudden this surfboard pops in front of me and he was like, ‘Grab a hold!’

The teen had Kiviniemi climb onto the board as they swam to shore.

Kiviniemi said, "He's a little kid, I'm thinking- how are you saving me? So I was worried about him being alright because the board started crashing him under. He goes, 'I'm fine. Just stay on the board and hold on.' And I kept asking if he was ok and if I should let go and he said 'No, just hold on to the board.' And he brought me all the way back in."

They arrived to shore, and Kiviniemi embraced his wife. But then he looked up.

He said, "I saw [the teen] and his mom exiting right there, and they were gone. Couldn't find him, couldn't thank him, anything."

No chance to show their gratitude.

Miller said, "I’m not sure my husband would be here if it wasn't for him."

"I don't know who he is, or where he's from or anything but hopefully we can find him."

Kiviniemi wants the opportunity to thank the rescuer before he leaves the area this weekend.

If you have any information, Kiviniemi can be reached at Jkivinie@umail.iu.edu

• 8 On Your SideMore>>

Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
    Josephine Ramos is literally sick about the toxic black mold growing in the St. Petersburg condominium beside hers. She's been feeling ill for months with headaches and breathing problems. Recently, she had peak inside the condo next doors and couldn't believe her eyes.

Lakeland neighborhood has continuing water problems, asks 8OYS for help

Friday, August 29 2014 5:03 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:03:34 GMT
    Some Lakeland residents are tired of wondering whether they'll have water at home. Over the past month, they tell 8 On Your Side that they've lost water with no warning at least five times. And what's worse, the water stays off for up to eight hours at a time

Abercrombie dropping logo to boost brand

Friday, August 29 2014 7:15 AM EDT2014-08-29 11:15:46 GMT
    The Abercrombie & Fitch logo has lost the power it once wielded, so the struggling teen retailer plans to strip off the once-prized logo from its clothing. Shares tumbled Thursday after it reported weak sales as more teens shop elsewhere.

Thief steals lawn equipment from struggling Spring Hill family

Friday, August 29 2014 7:44 PM EDT2014-08-29 23:44:24 GMT
    Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.
    A thief stole a trailer full of lawn equipment from a home in Spring Hill overnight on Wednesday.Michael Depace says he was asleep when more than $3,500 worth of lawn equipment was stolen.“I wanted to die. I really did,” he said.He used the lawn equipment to cut grass for free for people suffering from cancer and other serious health conditions.

Former Pasco massage therapist and massage business face $47 million judgement

Friday, August 29 2014 6:27 PM EDT2014-08-29 22:27:42 GMT
    Raul Alberto Delarosa is already serving 10 years sex offender probation after his conviction for assaulting a female massage client two years ago.But a worse punishment may have beenhanded him this week when a Pasco jury in a civil case awarded the victim a $47.4 million judgment --much of which is owned by the company

Mold takes over St. Pete condo, creeps into neighbors' homes

Friday, August 29 2014 5:48 PM EDT2014-08-29 21:48:06 GMT
  • Sign up for WFLA News Channel 8 Email Alerts

* denotes required fields

Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.