There will be more police officers on campus when classes resume Tuesday at a Winston-Salem high school where a student was shot last week, officials said.
But Carver High School Principal Ronald Travis said Monday that his school is safe and the incident was the end of a long running dispute between two students.
"We do not serve a student body here that needs to be patrolled with armed guards," Travis said at a news conference Monday
The 15-year-old student shot during a fire drill Friday has been released from the hospital. Police arrested 18-year-old Christopher Richardson Jr. immediately after the shooting and charged him with carrying a concealed weapon, possession of firearm on school property, assault with a deadly weapon inflicting serious injury and discharging a firearm within city limits. He remains in jail and it wasn't known if he had a lawyer.
The shooting happened around 2:30 p.m. at the end of a fire drill, and a school police officer was able to take Richardson into custody immediately after the shooting, Winston-Salem Police Chief Barry Rountree said.
"I believe that no other students, faculty or staff were a target or ever in jeopardy," Rountree said.
Carver High School's Friday football game was postponed until Monday. More police were assigned to be at that event as well, said Rountree, who would not detail exactly how many more officers would be on campus or any other plans to protect students.
Counselors will be on campus Tuesday to help out any of the school's 700 students still shaken by the shooting. But it is important to remember the shooting was between two students who had problems with each other for a long time, said Beverly Emory, superintendent of Winston-Salem/Forsyth County schools.
"Carver is a safe school," Emory said. "This incident could have taken place at any high school or anywhere in our community."