Wilmington considers banning gangs from parks - WFLA News Channel 8

Wilmington considers banning gangs from parks

Posted: Updated:
WILMINGTON, N.C. -

The city of Wilmington is considering banning gang members from city parks.
    
An ordinance to ban members from parks will be considered by city council next month. A 17-year-old was shot in a city park earlier this month. Last month a 4-year-old boy found a gun under some steps in a park.
    
Under the proposal, gang members found in a city park could be charged with trespassing.
    
Wilmington police Lt. K.E. Cochran says the proposal would make the parks safer for families and children, just like banning sex offenders from the parks.
    
Cochran says it will also help prevent children from getting involved in gang activities by preventing gang members from recruiting kids in parks.
    
City spokesman Dylan Lee says the ordinance will be considered at the Sept. 17 meeting.

Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.