Greenville dad charged after 6-year-old shoots himself in hand - WFLA News Channel 8

Greenville dad charged after 6-year-old shoots himself in hand

Posted: Updated:
GREENVILLE, N.C. -

A Greenville man is under arrest and charged with failing to store a firearm to protect a minor after a 6-year-old kid accidentally shot himself.  

On Wednesday around 10:15 p.m., officers responded to Vidant Hospital for the report of a juvenile who had been shot. Parents of the child reported the boy gained access to a .40 caliber handgun in the parents' bedroom, which was normally secured with a gunlock.  

While the parents were in another room the child accidentally shot himself in the hand while playing with the gun.

The boy's father, Andre Mooring, was arrested and charged with failing to store a firearm to protect a minor. Mooring was given a $1,000 bond at the Pitt County Detention Center and released

  • North Carolina NewsMore>>

  • New TV ads heat up NC Senate race

    New TV ads heat up NC Senate race

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 10:25 PM EDT2014-04-17 02:25:16 GMT
    The May 6 primary is just around the corner and the top three Republican contenders vying to unseat Sen. Kay Hagan are holding nothing back and neither are supporters of the incumbent senator.
    The May 6 primary is just around the corner and the top three Republican contenders vying to unseat Sen. Kay Hagan are holding nothing back and neither are supporters of the incumbent senator.
  • McCrory says raises for all linked to revenues

    McCrory says raises for all linked to revenues

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 9:39 PM EDT2014-04-17 01:39:14 GMT
    Gov. Pat McCrory is still hopeful North Carolina government finances will work out so all public school teachers and state employees can get raises for the coming year and not just the early-career teachers.
    Gov. Pat McCrory is still hopeful North Carolina government finances will work out so all public school teachers and state employees can get raises for the coming year and not just the early-career teachers.
  • Judge denies Duke Energy request for stay in coal ash case

    Judge denies Duke Energy request for stay in coal ash case

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 9:31 PM EDT2014-04-17 01:31:07 GMT
    The Wake County judge who ordered Duke Energy to take immediate action to eliminate sources of groundwater contamination at its coal ash ponds has denied the utility’s request for a stay in the matter.
    The Wake County judge who ordered Duke Energy to take immediate action to eliminate sources of groundwater contamination at its coal ash ponds has denied the utility’s request for a stay in the matter.
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.