Thousands jam Gettysburg on 150th anniversary of battle - WFLA News Channel 8

Thousands jam Gettysburg on 150th anniversary of battle

Posted: Updated:
GETTYSBURG, Pa. -

Thousands took a mile-long commemorative march Wednesday across the Gettysburg field where the Confederate Army made its final, ill-fated charge 150 years ago in the last clash of the pivotal battle of the Civil War.
    
A National Park Service spokeswoman said the Pickett's Charge walk was the most ambitious program ever planned to remember the South's failed assault, during which more than 12,000 men in nine brigades tried to break the Union lines. It ended the three-day Battle of Gettysburg on July 3, 1863.
    
On Wednesday, visitors broke up into nine groups led by park rangers and re-enactors dressed in period uniforms.
    
Just like in 1863, the Confederate lines drew out of the woods - but followed this time by tourists snapping pictures and recording their march. News photographers followed along, too, and at times groups broke out into Rebel Yells in an event turned festive at times.
    
The lines broke down and reformed again when the marchers reached a fence line.
    
Unlike 150 years ago, the walkers funneled through openings in the fence soldiers would have jumped before continuing "the advance."
    
"It didn't work well in 1863, and we're not sure how well it will today," Park Service spokeswoman Katie Lawhon said earlier Wednesday.
    
The march wasn't intended as a re-enactment with gunfire and bayonets like other events being held to mark the anniversary. It was supposed to be reverential in tone, and buglers ended the march playing "Taps."
    
Up to 10,000 Union and Confederate soldiers died over three bloody days at Gettysburg, while another roughly 30,000 were wounded.
    
"This is a commemorative march. We're trying to be respectful," Lawhon said.
    
Battle re-enactments are held on private properties. The second of two re-enactments planned for this anniversary period, a four-day event, starts Thursday at the Redding Farm in Gettysburg.
    
The town's Independence Day parade scheduled for Wednesday evening was canceled following a police investigation after a car crashed into a house. Some streets in a neighborhood about a quarter-mile from the military park was closed while many visitors were still gathered for the march.
    
Authorities said a woman inside the house was taken to a hospital with lacerations. One suspect was arrested at the scene and a second was soon captured after fleeing on foot, police said.
    
The parade was cancelled due to lack of police resources, officials said. A fireworks show scheduled for Wednesday night was still planned.
  

  • U.S.More>>

  • Friend convicted of impeding Boston Marathon probe

    Friend convicted of impeding Boston Marathon probe

    Monday, July 21 2014 5:40 PM EDT2014-07-21 21:40:28 GMT
    Jurors in the trial of a friend of Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev (joh-HAHR' tsahr-NEYE'-ehv) have resumed deliberations in his obstruction of justice trial.
    A college friend was convicted Monday of trying to protect Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev by agreeing with another friend to get rid of a backpack and disabled fireworks they took from his dorm room...
  • Obama calls for immediate access to crash site

    Obama calls for immediate access to crash site

    Monday, July 21 2014 12:00 PM EDT2014-07-21 16:00:27 GMT
    President Barack Obama is calling for international investigators to have "immediate and full access" to the site in eastern Ukraine, where a passenger jet was shot down last week.
    President Barack Obama is calling for international investigators to have "immediate and full access" to the site in eastern Ukraine, where a passenger jet was shot down last week.
  • Body of missing 11-year-old drowning victim found

    Body of missing 11-year-old drowning victim found

    Monday, July 21 2014 9:27 AM EDT2014-07-21 13:27:51 GMT
    MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – Saturday night the Coast Guard was called in to help locate an 11 year old boy who went missing in the ocean.  The 11 year old boy reportedly went missing in the ocean near 2001
     The body of an 11-year-old drowning victim who went missing in the ocean Saturday was located Monday morning.
  • Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

  • Largest companies by revenue in each state

    Largest companies by revenue in each state

    Thursday, July 10 2014 8:01 PM EDT2014-07-11 00:01:10 GMT
    Broadview Networks recently decided to find out the biggest -- by revenue -- company in each state in the US.The company used the Fortune 500 list to start with, but needed data by state, so it turned to Hoover's.With data from that company, they were able to search through each state's list of companies and then find the largest -- by revenue.Just flip through the list above and see who is the biggest in each state, what town they are based and their revenue.
    Broadview Networks recently decided to find out the biggest -- by revenue -- company in each state in the US.The company used the Fortune 500 list to start with, but needed data by state, so it turned to Hoover's.With data from that company, they were able to search through each state's list of companies and then find the largest -- by revenue.Just flip through the list above and see who is the biggest in each state, what town they are based and their revenue.
  • Parts of Durham once again flood as business owner looks for relief

    Parts of Durham once again flood as business owner looks for relief

    Monday, July 21 2014 10:20 PM EDT2014-07-22 02:20:30 GMT
    Several inches of rain created flooding in parts of Durham on Monday.
    Several inches of rain created flooding in parts of Durham on Monday.
  • Take Me To The King: A Book By Joel Wiggins

    Take Me To The King: A Book By Joel Wiggins

    Monday, July 21 2014 1:10 PM EDT2014-07-21 17:10:46 GMT
    Valonda Calloway and Joel WigginsValonda Calloway and Joel Wiggins
    Prepare to have the very core of what you’ve believed to be your foundational truths challenged. Get comfortable being uncomfortable in your thinking about traditional religion. And be okay with self-examination on a whole new level. Unlike the award-winning gospel smash, this Take Me To The King is NOT for entertainment purposes only and is definitely intended for spiritually mature audiences. Journey with author and successful entrepreneur, Joel Wiggins, as he explores the current state of ...
    Prepare to have the very core of what you’ve believed to be your foundational truths challenged. Get comfortable being uncomfortable in your thinking about traditional religion. And be okay with self-examination on a whole new level. Unlike the award-winning gospel smash, this Take Me To The King is NOT for entertainment purposes only and is definitely intended for spiritually mature audiences. Journey with author and successful entrepreneur, Joel Wiggins, as he explores the current state of ...
Powered by WorldNow

200 South Parker Street, Tampa, FL 33606

Telephone: 813.228.8888
Fax: 813.225.2770
Email: news@wfla.com

Can’t find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.